NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The deadline to seek federal disaster assistance is nearing for survivors of the recent severe storms, tornadoes and flooding.
Those who experienced damage or loss must apply for help by Aug. 9.
Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for disaster aid by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time. The TTY number is 800-462-7585. Online, go to www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by smartphone or tablet to m.fema.gov.
Have the following information available before applying:
· The address of the affected property;
· A brief description of the damage;
· A current mailing address;
· Social Security number;
· Insurance information, including policy numbers;
· A contact number or alternate such as a cell phone or work number.
Persons registering with FEMA may receive a loan application from the U.S. Small Business Administration. Filling out the application does not mean someone has to borrow money. However, people may be eligible for additional FEMA grants if they are not qualified for an SBA loan.